Lead Agency/Program Director: Saint Francis Medical Center/ Barbara Gleason, RN
Counties Served: Dunklin, Mississippi, New Madrid, Pemiscot, Scott, and Stoddard
Partners: Saint Francis Medical Center, Missouri Delta Medical Center, Pemiscot Memorial Health System, Poplar Bluff Regional Medical Center, Southeast HEALTH Hospital, and SSM Health (a health system of 24 hospitals in Missouri, Illinois, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin). Partners include six county public health departments; three home visiting programs (Missouri Bootheel Healthy Start, ParentLink, and Building Block); the SEMO Health Network (FQHC); and three community mental health services (Bootheel Counseling Service, FCC Behavioral Health, and Gibson Recovery Center). Bootheel Babies and Families (collective impact effort in the six counties) and Missouri Department of Social Services MO HealthNet are also partners. They have two affiliate partners Southeast Missouri State University (SEMO); Bootheel Babies and Families.
MHLIC Coach: Tanisa Adimu
Outcome Measures: Maternal and infant health outcomes; value-based system of reimbursement for Medicaid; improved and coordinated QI processes, and patient safety
Develop a sustainable network approach to coordinate maternal and obstetrics care within a rural region
- Build on existing aggregated hospital services and ensure protocols are consistent across hospitals
- Promote the MO-RMOMS project to local providers in managed care health plans
- Expand medical education and care management through Project ECHO (Extension for Community Healthcare Outcomes)
- Develop experiential learning Rural Social Determinants Tour with local university faculty (programs may incorporate modules in training curricula for students)
- Develop clinical rotations to support preceptorships for trainees and meet workforce shortages
Increase the delivery and access of preconception, pregnancy, labor and delivery, and postpartum services
- Expanding care coordination and referral to community resources (including focus on increasing access to transportation, housing, food, and other Social Determinants of Health (SDoH)
- Support regional Transportation Summit to be held by local managed care organizations
- Expand telehealth sites (e.g., FQHC) and services (e.g., perinatologist, and nutrition counseling); currently MFM and remote ultrasound interpretation are offered once a week; investigate use of portable ultrasound equipment
Develop sustainable financing models for the provision of maternal and obstetrics care
- Medicaid was not expanded in Missouri, though there are proposals from the MO Department of Social Services to transform care from current payment models to value-based approaches. Will explore alternative payment models in collaboration with MO HealthNet.
- Align with MO value-based purchasing planning, and support MO DSS contract development manager add Value-Based Purchasing model for MCH to state amendment.
Improve maternal and neonatal outcomes
- Identify project staff to work with HRSA, Perinatal Learning and Action Network, and Patient Safety in Women’s Health Care Alliance for Innovation on Maternal Health
- Focus group studies and/or phone interviews with. maternal and obstetric patients
- Implement Maternal Mental Health (MMH), PP Basics and Transition to Well Woman Care safety bundles